Saturday, June 4, 2011

lentil soup, a beginning


    So here is yet another food blog that will probably never get any notice amongst the vast galaxy we call the internet. A cooking blog just because we can. I enjoy cooking. It is a passion as well as a creative outlet for me, it also happens to be my job. I cook at work. I cook at home. I cook at all times of the day and night. Whatever mood I may be in, or whatever type of day I may be having I cook. Sometimes I don't cook and then I usually wished I had. This will not be some cute little Julie&Julia redux or a celebrity chef throwdown blog. It will just be me, cooking my food, my way, in my kitchen, taking you along for the ride and dishing out the appropriate side dish of commentary. 

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
  • 1 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
  • 2 quarts chicken or beef broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander

  • Directions
  • Put the olive oil into a large 6-quart sauce pan or pot and set over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, coriander and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent. Add the lentils, tomatoes, and broth and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Thats it, Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. I love it! (And, the soup was good too!) Congratulations, HB! I love you!

    ReplyDelete